/t/ - Which one do you use and why ?

/t/ - Science/Technology

For discussion of Science, Technology and Math
[Return] [Go to Bottom] [Catalog]

File: distrohero.jpg (67.48 KB, 770x578, 385:289, 1545806670711.jpg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

No.2[D]

Which one do you use and why ?

No.3[D]

File: Install_Gentoo.webm (2.33 MB, 540x360, 3:2, 1545836016395.webm) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>2
I use Gentoo on my desktop, Arch Linux/Debian on my (low-end) laptop and I recently installed OpenBSD on my old desktop. I am also contemplating buying a Raspberry PI and installing NetBSD on it.

The Reasons for using Gentoo are:
- Gentoo has been around for a long time and it has good reputation (it has competent developers, it's not a botnet and it's not going to disappear overnight, etc.)
- Overlays are way better than AUR or cancer like PPAs and Snaps
- Gentoo is a stable distro but you can easily install bleeding edge software (you can set the versions on per-package basis)
- You can tweak and optimize everything however you wish; Gentoo is very flexible and versatile.
- (cont. on last point) If you enable/disable options in packages on compile-time, you can gain additional performance and security
- Because Gentoo is source-based distro, all programs you install will be optimized for your hardware (this gives a small speed boost)
- Gentoo gives you a lot of choice and it supports other init systems besides SystemD (I don't like SystemD very much. The fact that SystemD got pushed so hard, should make you really think.)

TL;DR: Gentoo offers maximum comfort and rice-ability. Optimize to extreme.
If you are interested in learning more about Gentoo, you can check out this thread on 8chan --> https://8ch.net/cpu/res/23.html

Your fortune: You will meet a dark handsome stranger

No.4[D]

File: 1444166737568.jpg (68.34 KB, 660x495, 4:3, 1545842065385.jpg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>2
im a normalfag when it comes to linux, do you think i should switch to linux? is it compatible with gaming spec? thanks

Your fortune: Godly Luck

No.5[D]

>>4
Well if gaming is your priority you should probably dual boot with a comparitively friendly linux distro like maybe debian or mint with you win 7

No.6[D]

>>4
As the other Anon said, you should Dual-boot Debian ( https://www.debian.org/distrib/index.en.html ) and Windows. Linux supports most hardware, but gaming performance isn't usually as good as it's in windows. You should install windows first (remember to save some space for Linux, too) and then install the Linux distribution of your choice.

If you have already installed Windows, you can resize the windows partition using the Debian installer or disk editing tools like gparted. The easiest way to repartition your disk, is to use the Linux-based SystemRescueCD ( http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ ) and then and then use gparted to do the partitions before you install Linux.

No.7[D]

>>6
As for which distro to use, I personally recommend Debian and Xubuntu, and you could also try OpenSUSE or Fedora (I have heard that OpenSUSE offers the best KDE desktop experience, should you choose to use it). I recommend against flavour of the month meme distros (like Manjaro) or very specialized distros (like Kali Linux). Also, modern versions of Ubuntu are a mess, and they should be avoided. Use either a different "flavour" of Ubntu, such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu (here, a flavour means a version of the distro with alternative desktop environment).

Linux supports many different desktop environments, such as GNOME, KDE, LXDE (LXQT) and Xfce. I recommend to use either LXDE or LXQT or Xfce since they resemble windows the most and they are also relatively lightweight. A desktop environment (DE) basically means a software package that consist of the program that manages the windows (of other programs) and assorted basic applications (media players, file managers and so on). Choosing a desktop environment doesn't limit the applications that you can use. In other words, you can use KDE applications even if you run Xfce4 desktop or the other way around.

If you get stuck and need help you can ask for help here or in your distribution's IRC channel.

No.8[D]

>>7
>>6
>>5
thanks for helping me out
is there a reason i should switch to OpenSUSE / other linux platforms? (other than anonmity and safe from hacking i heard)

No.9[D]

File: stallman_quest.webm (4.89 MB, 500x281, 500:281, 1545950933506.webm) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>8
- Privacy, no more (((telemetry))) BS
- Security
- Linux is way more lightweight than Windows (ie you don't waste as much of your resources for running the operating system itself)
- Linux supports old and/or low-end hardware
- Linux distributions and software are usually provided free of charge
- Linux and most software written for Linux is Free and open-source, so you can study the software's code and modify it
- When you use proprietary software (like Windows), there is the chance that the company who develops it decides to not fix some bugs for the old/current version and fix it for the upcoming version instead
- Linux is more flexible and customizeable than Windows or Mac OSX. You can customize the software to work in the way you want it to, instead of learning to use it the way some company wants you to use it.
- Installing updates and new software is easier in Linux than it's on Windows. You can get all software and upgrades from package repositories that are maintained by your distribution. And because of this, you can update all your software and your operating system just by running one command or pressing a button.
- The community is often more knowledgeable and can offer better support and documentation

No.10[D]

>>9
One thing I forgot to mention in the previous posts, is that distros like Fedora, Xubuntu (and other flaours of Ubuntu) and OpenSUSE LEAP require you to do a "version" or a "release" upgrade from time to time. Other distributions such as Debian (if you set it to follow a generic release codename (for example "stable") in the Apt's sources.list) and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed update to new releases over time seamlessly (in other words, there aren't fixed releases of these kind of distros, instead they are what's called "rolling-release" distributions).

Your fortune: Excellent Luck

No.11[D]

I ""upgraded"" my windows 8 to Win10 and didn't want to put up with Microshaft's nonsense, so I chose Ubuntu because my friend said it was the easiest for computer illiterate people like myself. For whatever reason my install would never work, I had problems with my graphics card etc. So I decided to do the easy thing and instal Arch. I had to do it over a couple of evenings, but I got there in the end. I think the black-box/plug-&-play installation of Ubuntu meant something somewhere got screwed. With Arch I did everything line by line following this wiki and there was simply no room for error.

Would highly recommend it for someone who wants a bit more out of Linux but perhaps isn't prepared to >install gentoo

No.12[D]

File: coloring___akira_kogami__s….jpg (135.1 KB, 846x945, 94:105, 1546101688123.jpg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>11
>With Arch I did everything line by line following this wiki and there was simply no room for error.
This.

Arch Wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org) is very comprehensive and invaluable source of information, even if you don't use Arch Linux. The new installation guide contains all the basics, but you might have to read other pages from the wiki (for network configuration, for example). The old Beginners' Guide is still available from this archive: https://archive.fo/RB9UG
When the old Beginners' Guide and the new Installation Guide differ, you should follow the new Installation Guide (if you want to follow the old guide that is).

>Would highly recommend it for someone who wants a bit more out of Linux but perhaps isn't prepared to >install gentoo

Actually, the Gentoo's installation guide - The Gentoo Handbook - is even more comprehensive than Arch Linux's installation guide, but maintaining a Gentoo installation is (perhaps) slightly harder than maintaining an installation of Arch Linux. If you are prepared to read the fine manual and do a bit of research, then both Arch Linux and Gentoo are also very good options.

No.13[D]

File: takanashi_rikka_chuunibyou….jpg (96.97 KB, 434x800, 217:400, 1546107371982.jpg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>7
I mentioned IRC in one of my posts. I highly recommend trying it in case you need help with the distribution of your choice. IRC allows you to chat with other people in realtime. There is a Fedora Magazine article written for those new to IRC: https://fedoramagazine.org/beginners-guide-irc/ and here is another quick guide: https://opensource.com/article/16/6/irc-quickstart-guide

First, you need to get an IRC client (a piece of software that allows you to use IRC). I recommend HexChat which is an easy-to-use GUI IRC client. You can get it here: https://hexchat.github.io/ If you want to use a CLI IRC client, I recommend irssi (https://irssi.org/). Irssi is an intuitive and no-nonsense CLI IRC client. Be sure to check out the irssi getting started guide: https://irssi.org/documentation/startup/
Then you need to find out some IRC channels (IRC calls chat rooms "channels") to connect to. In the case of OpenSUSE, you can find them from this page: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:IRC_list

There are many IRC networks. Different channels are can be found in different networks. OpenSUSE's official channels are located in the Freenode network (chat.freenode.net). (use ports 6697, 7000 and 7070 for SSL encrypted connection). HexChat provides a list of IRC networks and you should use it to connection to the network of your choice.
You can use the /connect chat.freenode.net 6697 command to connect to the Freenode network (IRC commands begin with a / ).

No.14[D]

File: chiruno9.jpg (127.51 KB, 900x900, 1:1, 1546107782406.jpg) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>13
Once you have connected to a network, you should choose your own nickname (which can be switched via the GUI or typing /nick my_name_here
You might want to register your nickname, so you wont lose it, see: https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

Once you have connect to Freenode and setup your nick, you can join a channel. In the case of OpenSUSE, you want to type (you can also use GUI): /join #SUSE
To talk in the channel, simply type what you want to say and it will be sent to everyone who is currently on that channel. If you want to send error messages or configuration files (or similar) to the channel, you should use a pastebin service (for example: https://paste.pound-python.org/) and post a link to the paste instead. If you want to ask a question, you should just ask it, instead of asking if it's okay to ask a question. Also, try to provide as much information as you can.

You can leave the channel by typing: /part
If you want to disconnect from the whole network (in other words, when you want to quit your IRC session), use: /quit instead.

No.15[D]

>>12
Hmm interesting. I've always wanted to give Gentoo a try, but I'm not sure I would give it the time and TLC needed to keep everything updated and working properly. Case in point: I left my Arch un-updated for nearly a year and a half. Aside from poor performance and a couple of errors and warning here and there it still manged to work. I imagine no suck luck if the same thing was done to a gentoo installation.

No.19[D]

i dunno

No.21[D]

>>15
>I left my Arch un-updated for nearly a year and a half. Aside from poor performance and a couple of errors and warning here and there it still manged to work. I imagine no suck luck if the same thing was done to a gentoo installation.
Actually, Gentoo is a stable distribution (and it supports multiple versions of programs whereas Arch Linux only supports most current versions of software in their repositories.) However, because Gentoo is source-based distro, you have to choose which featrues you want to be included (or disabled) in each program. Gentoo automates a lot of this via what Gentoo calls "profiles" but you have to manually fine tune what options you want to be enabled or disabled via USE flags.

On the other hand, the developers and maintainers of Arch Linux choose the features that are included (or not included) in programs and the optimization options used while compiling the programs. In Gentoo, the software is optimized for your computer. (This grants a small performance boost.)

No.22[D]

>>21
I've got an old laptop hanging around, I think I'll give it a try. Any tips?

No.26[D]

>>22
With those numerals, I think I have to reply something. What do you need help with? Choosing a distribution? If you can't decide which distribution you want to install, I recommend Debian.

No.28[D]

>>2
>Ubuntu
first experience was with Trisquel as a complete noob, you can see how that has pushed me into using more normietier'd distro's. Though its been some years was considering trying a more cutting edge distro, if anybody has any good recommendations I can take on board I'd appreciate it

No.31[D]

>>26
I meant more, tips or things that are good to know heading into installing gentoo

No.33[D]

Just use whatever you want. Windows 10 or LGBT edition. Most of the botnet is google on the internet and you can modify your OS.

>gentoo meme

You had one job.

No.35[D]

TempleOS

You rolled the number 241894307 (no dubs or higher)

No.42[D]

>>22
Xubuntu

No.79[D]

You should try Void Linux, Anons. It's just way too comfy.

No.80[D]

>>2
Windows and used xubuntu.
Linux is not worth it unless for servers

No.92[D]

Ubuntu.
>sksk fucken normie REEE
Ubuntu is a decent distro.

No.95[D]

>>92
Ubuntu is gay, install Debian

No.96[D]

>>95
I though of giving Debian or Devuan a try.
Maybe i'll do it next month

No.102[D]

>>2
I use Manjaro with xfce4. I'll switch to Linux once I have time to configure everything

No.109[D]

File: 1556218571979.png (332.72 KB, 2518x1024, 1259:512, 1556305152294.png) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>2
I use Kubuntu.
It's feature-rich and it doesn't require hours and hours of configuration to get it up and running (like Gentoo). I also like their minimal install option (I can choose what applications I want to have on my PC).
I have used more advanced distros, including Arch and Slackware, in the past but I'm not really into distro tinkering anymore.

No.112[D]

I installed linux-lite and i can't get rid of it

No.117[D]

Linux is gay

No.119[D]

>>117
You're gay

No.129[D]

>>2
elementary OS.
It looks great, has all the stuff I need and just werks out-of-the-box.

No.144[D]

Mint because I'm a fucking n00b who just switched from Windows a few days ago and am still learning about Linux.

No.145[D]

>>144
Same here but I'm using Manjaro.

No.161[D]

File: qh868jq1h8z21.png (1.34 MB, 1366x768, 683:384, 1564317187273.png) [Show in Hex Viewer] [Reverse Image search]

>>2
Debian and KDE because to compete with Windows and Mac sooner or later there has to be a single best GNU/Linux/DE and I'm pretty sure that this will be a (or is) Debian with KDE.

Debian because it already is basically the best OS for servers and one of the most used GNU/Linuxes (Ubuntu is based on it too), it's the most stable and secure and it's 100% free and open source. It is built by a large community following the Debian Social Contract.

KDE because it's the most sleekest, modern and convenient and has a lot of features but still follows the principle of "simple by default".

Also both will run on the upcoming Librem 5 smartphone.
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
It's a truly universal operating system.

Debian needs a little more time and KDE needs more bugfixes. So maybe especially as a newcomer you could also consider KDE Neon. It has newer features and is easier to use but it's based on Ubuntu and I'd switch later on. I consider the other options mostly as a waste of time and resources. Just use and improve Debian and KDE right from the start. For example you can easily install newer on Debian too. The installation and configuration has been made easier with the latest upgrade and Calamares.

Here's a demo of KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXWUyUUx3ZE

If you also want to play games check out Lutris.

No.163[D]

>>2
Mint and Arch on my 2 computers. I am gonna install slackware along with arch on my other computer.

No.175[D]

Mint on my laptop because I am too lazy to install another distro on it, arch on my desktop. I have tried out various GNU/Linux distros and I am not a n00b, I know how GNU/Linux words, I use the command line pretty often. Mint isn't only for n00bs, I don't understand why power users hate it so much.

No.176[D]

>>175
> I don't understand why power users hate Mint so much.
Because Mint is just a worse version of Debian/Devuan, and the only reason to use it over Debian or Devuan is that it is easier to use (the same also applies to Ubuntu.)
The reason why some power users dislike Debian is that Debian stable doesn't have latest versions of packages because Debian stable only gets security updates (this is easily fixed by switching to Debian/Devuan testing or unstable)

No.198[D]

Im a linux newfag.
I learned a bit through the raspberry pi, and a couple of youtube videos.
Any advice?
Do you have any reccomendations for me?
Any more youtube videos i should watch?
Books?
My goal is to get a complete understanding of linux, python,
And move to cyber security, white hat hacking, whatever you call it.

No.213[D]

>>2 I use Void on my laptop, have gentoo installed on another ssd to learn

No.217[D]

I use Mint. Previously Ubuntu.

I've only been using GNU/Linux since June, earlier this year. I've definitely grown comfortable with it really fast. I love Programming in it and I love using the Terminal for a lot of things. I also love that there is no Spyware built-into the OS and that it runs really fast and smooth.

No.219[D]

>>2
I currently run Debian on most of my servers (without systemd of course) and dietpi on my raspberry pi.
I also have an old virtualized ubuntu test server that's somehow still running. At some point I started installing random things on it and now I'm not sure how to get rid of it without crashing half my network. It's using around 10-20 gigabytes of memory someone please send help

No.225[D]

>>2
I use Arch. I don't use it for any reason in *particular*, outside of minimal install. It's just what I happened to go to overtime, I started with Linux Mint. Thinking of trying out LFS just cos it seems interesting to me

[Reply to this Thread]

[Return] [Go to top] [Catalog]
[Post a Reply]